Bookmark: Root \ \ Garmin GPS locked with "No detailed maps found that support routing."
Last Updated: 2009-07-20
My Garmin nüvi 200 started to display "No detailed maps found that support routing. The nuvi cannot be used without them." after I installed the latest 2009 maps from the update DVD.
After a lot of searching I found the solution. Problem is that the unlock key had not been transmitted to the GPS unit for some reason.
To fix this, create a new file with the .unl extension inside the Garmin folder on your GPS and write the unlock code into the file.
I gave mine the same name as the main map image, not sure if this is required but it worked. So I created gmapprom.unl opened it with notepad and wrote my unlock code onto the first line, noting else. Saved the file, restarted my GPS and all is well now.
I hope this post can save somebody else some frustration.
Fixes submited by visitors:
Posted by Nina
BTW, while searching for a solution to my problem I found another solution which I would like to share.
If your GPS just starts to display the "No detailed maps found that support routing. The nuvi cannot be used without them." and you did not update your maps you should try to reset your GPS.
Do this my pressing down the lower right corner of your screen and turn on your GPS. Keep the corner pressed until you see a Yes/No dialog box asking you if you would like to reset your GPS. My German version says "Wirklich alle Benutzerdaten löschen?"
Answering Yes will reset your GPS and should fix the problem if you did not try to update the map.
Posted by xhibit
xhibit contacted Garmin support explaining that he is receiving the "no maps..." error message and they replied with the following:
Thank you for contacting Garmin International.
We are happy to help you with this. Below is the unlock code for the mapping on your GPS. This can also be found in your MyGarmin registration account under "Mange Maps", then clicking on the Details button under "Maps associated with this device"....
To install this, please follow the steps below;
Unlock code: They gave the unlock code.
1) Right click your mouse on the desktop of your computer, then select "New", then select "Text Document". This will place a new text document icon on your desktop
2) Double click on the newly created Text Document icon on the desktop to open the text document window
3) Copy the above unlock code into the document.
4) Click “File”, then "Save as"
5) In the "Save as" dialogue box, change the file name to gmapprom.unl
6) Change the “Save as type” to "All files", then save the document and close it
7) You should see the file "gmapprom.unl" on your desktop as an icon
8) Right click on the gmapprom.unl file on the desktop and then select “copy”
9) Plug your Garmin device into your computer and then open “My Computer” or “Computer” This will show the devices attached to the computer
10) Double click on the Garmin or Nuvi drive to access the files on the GPS.
11) Right click on the Garmin folder and then select "paste" to past the gmapprom.unl file into the Garmin file folder.
12) Safely disconnect your Garmin device from the computer electronically before disconnecting the cable.
13) Disconnect the USB cable, then power the GPS on…..
I did as they had told and voila it worked... thanks for all your help guys...
Posted by serkan demirel
I tried all ways mentioned on this website. Except resetting, the other ways did not work for me. After that I tried to use Start=>All Programs=>Garmin=>MapSource. I did load some part of the map to the GPS again. Then it worked out.
No Comments yet .....
Add Your Comment:
Note: All posts require administrator approval. Please allow 24 hours for message approval.